Those seeking assistance often ask Veterans Financial about the following veterans care options:
* Veterans assisted living or veterans assisted living benefits – Some VA nursing homes also offer assisted living settings, but generally the closest option available is the reimbursement offered through the Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit
* Veterans home care or veterans home care benefits – We have provided an explanation of the available home care service on our site. Under the Heading Veterans Benefits, one of the tabs provides an explanation of available services.
* Veterans nursing home care – The VA has limited nursing home space available. Priority is given to Service Connected Disabled Veterans. Contact the VA directly at 877-222-8387.
* Veterans active adult communities – While it is a common request, we are not aware of any Veteran-only 55+ communities
* Military retirement living – Veterans are eligible to live in the Armed Forces Retirement Homes located in Gulfport, Miss., or Washington, D.C., if their active duty military service is at least 50% enlisted, warrant officer or limited duty officer if they qualify under one of the following categories:
- Are 60 years of age or older; and were discharged or released under honorable conditions after 20 or more years of active service.
- Are determined to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of a service-connected disability incurred in the line of duty.
- Served in a war theater during a time of war declared by Congress or were eligible for hostile-fire special pay and were discharged or released under honorable conditions; and are determined to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of injuries, disease or disability.
- Served in a women’s component of the armed forces before June 12, 1948; and are determined to be eligible for admission due to compelling personal circumstances.
- Eligibility determinations are based on rules prescribed by the Home’s Chief Operating Officer. Veterans are not eligible if they have been convicted of a felony or are not free from alcohol, drug or psychiatric problems. Married couples are welcome, but both must be eligible in their own right. At the time of admission, applicants must be capable of living independently.
The Armed Forces Retirement Home is an independent federal agency. For information, call 800-422-9988, or visit http://www.afrh.gov/.
This link will take you to the VA’s Facility Locator.
Click Here to learn more about the VA’s Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit. There is no cost or obligation to speak with someone from Veterans Financial, Inc.