The Aid and Attendance Benefit Application – How to Apply

The application process for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) Aid and Attendance Pension benefit is extensive, but that is to be expected considering the high level of monetary assistance being offered through this VA benefit.  We highly recommend you give Veterans Financial Inc. a call as the first step. Our team will providing you a user-friendly, complete application packet at no cost. To get started today, call 800-835-1541.

The easiest way to apply is utilizing the application completion software available at, for only $299 the entire 30+ page application can be done in under an hour.

If you prefer, the forms can be found on the VA’s website

Here is a list of forms and papers that you will need:
-Military separation papers form DD-214.  The VA requires a certified copy or original in most cases. To order a copy from the National Archives visit  If you learn that that your records were destroyed in the Saint Louis fire of 1973, they most likely are able to provide a valid certificate of service, but that may take additional time. A faster option is to contact at 888-997-5146 and mention Veterans Financial for a 5% discount.

  • Married veterans and surviving spouses will need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate.
  • Surviving spouses will need to provide a copy of the veteran’s death certificate.
  • Current Social Security Award Letter showing the monthly Social Security benefit.  Additionally, if applicable, a monthly statement from a private pension program.
  • If applicable, court-appointed guardians of the applicant will need to provide a copy of the court order.
  • Monthly health insurance bill as well as your home care, independent or assisted living, adult day, or nursing home invoice if paid out-of-pocket and not reimbursed by a long term care insurance policy or Medicaid.
  • Physician statement that provides detailed information about your diagnosis, current medical status, prognosis, ability to care for yourself and need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). Form 21-2680
  • Voided check for direct deposit of the monthly payment.  The benefit is paid directly to the claimant similar to Social Security.

Once you have completed the application and gathered the supporting materials listed above, submit the entire packet to one of the Department of Veterans Affairs’ three Regional Pension Maintenance Centers. To learn which center to submit your application to, call the VA at 1-800-827-1000. If you need help, the VA and service organizations such as the VFW or American Legion offer assistance. Be prepared to seek out alternative help from Veterans Financial Inc. or another company or professional if you feel you are not getting good advice.

Once you have submitted all of this information, you will have to wait for correspondence from the VA. Initially (within the first 30-45 days) a letter acknowledging receipt will arrive from the VA and will provide a VA claim/file number. After that, correspondence should be sent to claimants every 60-90 days regarding the current status of their claim. If you do not receive any mail, call the Pension Maintenance Center at 1-800-827-1000 to ensure claim processing is progressing correctly. It is not uncommon for claims to take three to six months. After six months, you may consider involving your Congressperson.

While the Aid and Attendance application process is extensive, it is well worth the monthly $1,432-$2,642 that can help you pay for high and necessary long term care expenses.

If you need guidance with the Aid and Attendance benefit, please click here or call Veterans Financial Inc. at 800-835-1541 to speak to a live person. There is never a charge for our assistance.

Learn More:

About Aid & Attendance

Aid & Attendance Eligibility

We Can Help With All Your Aid and Attendance Questions

Click Here to learn more about the VA’s Aid and Attendance Benefit Application.  There is no cost or obligation to speak with someone from Veterans Financial, Inc. Call us today at 1-800-835-1541.